03 June, 2022

SV8/LA3ZA

The polymath Pythagoras was born on
Samos and his birthplace village is now
called Pythagorio.
For a short while I’m operating from Samos, Greece with my old K2 at 10 W output. Noise level here next to a high voltage line is S9+ on all bands except 6m, so only digital modes work. The K2's noise blanker does a good job of removing some of the noise.

The antenna is a quarter-wave vertical for 30 m which also tunes several other bands. It’s on the balcony with a 7 m Sotabeam glass fiber mast, on the left-hand side of the street in the image below.

I seem to be able to contact stations between Samos and the Netherlands, Canary Islands, and Saudi-Arabia as the longest distance. Considering that Pythagorio on Samos is facing south with a hill in the main direction towards Northern Europe, this isn't too bad.

I’m using a 10W UT5JCW transverter for 6 m. Sadly, that business is now closed due to the war.

By mistake I initially took the callsign to be SV5/LA3ZA. As is evident from the comment below that is wrong, as I am one island or so too far North for that. I will unfortunately therefore not be able to confirm any of those contacts.









2 comments:

  1. Good morning Sverre, This MIke SV5BYR. Samos island is SV8....!!! not SV5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, you're right, Mike. Thanks for letting me know. Changing to SV8 from now on!

    ReplyDelete